POPI Information Officer registration and responsibilities
In terms of the PoPI Act a POPI Information Officer (“IO”) must be registered with the regulator.
As the designated POPI Information Officer you are ultimately responsible for encouraging, and ensuring compliance with PoPI and will be the key contact with whom the Regulator will liaise with on any investigative matters. You will also be responsible for the processing of information requests made in terms of the Regulation.
In addition to the ultimate responsibilities listed above, here’s a quick look at the detailed roles and responsibilities that you, as an Information Officer, are required to fulfill:
- Every Information Officer must ensure that a Compliance Framework is developed. This framework must then be implemented across all business operations and should be monitored and updated regularly.
- The IO must conduct a Personal Information Impact Assessment. This assessment needs to be performed in order to demonstrate that personal information is processed lawfully and in accordance with the requirements of PoPI.
- The IO must ensure that a PoPI Manual is developed. Additionally, the IO is responsible for maintaining the manual and ensuring its availability.
- Requests for information are the responsibility of the Information Officer. The IO must ensure adequate procedures are in place to process such requests.
- Additionally the IO is required to ensure all staff attend adequate PoPI awareness training.
Get in touch with us today to assess your PoPI Compliance needs and how we can assist you to ensure they are met ; Contact Us
You might also be interested in
POPI Compliance - The POPI Compliance Manual The POPI Compliance Manual sets out the specific steps that need to be taken to ensure compliance with the PoPI Act. The POPI Compliance Manual should be read in conjunction with the Act, and covers topics such as data...
If you haven’t done it before, registering a company in South Africa may seem like a daunting task, loaded with red tape and requiring all sorts of documents, but it’s actually quite simple. As long as you know what the statutory requirements are for the type of...
All companies are required to comply with local, national and, where applicable, International statutes. These statutes (or statutory laws) are laws and regulations that pertain to: Statutory Compliance and statutory record-keeping in: Company operations - including...
With over 23 years of unwavering expertise, I am a seasoned Chartered Accountant committed to financial excellence. My journey in the realm of finance has been marked by astute strategic insights, meticulous attention to detail, and an unyielding dedication to precision. Over the years, I’ve navigated the complexities of financial landscapes, providing invaluable counsel to diverse clients. My proficiency extends across auditing, taxation, and financial management, coupled with a profound understanding of regulatory frameworks. As a registered professional, I have consistently upheld the highest standards of integrity and ethics, earning a reputation as a trusted advisor in the dynamic world of finance.